Skip to content

Help us improve Gearset

We love getting feedback from our users on how we can make Gearset even better. Post your ideas for improvements, new features, and bug fixes alike, and vote for others – let us know what’s important to you.

If you need any further support, please contact us at team@gearset.com.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

337 results found

1. Run external tools like PMD as part of Schedule Tests/Monitor Org

PMD tool that does apex code 'quality' measurements would be kind of cool to run (optionally) as part of a regular monitoring/test job. This could be generalized to any external tool

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  New feature  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Gearset will now run PMD to track code analysis as part of the Monitoring and Backup flow. The plan is to roll this out to other parts of the app so we can more easily track the change in code quality.

2. A way to view failed deployments from Gearset

Right now if a deployment fails in Gearset, it doesn't show up anywhere within Gearset; it just sends you an email. It would be nice to have a place to view failed deployments and retry them (maybe it only failed because the environment was locked), just like you can with successful deployments in Deployment History.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  New feature  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Online help for Manage custom filters

For large Orgs, doing a comparison with the default set of metadata types can take a long time, and so it is necessary to select a smaller subset of metadata types to compare.

However sometimes it is not obvious how a particular configuration change in Salesforce relates to the metadata types in the custom filters dialog, and what dependencies exist between them. For example, after changing "Override" settings in the "Transalation Workbench" in Salesforce, it is not immediately obvious that you need to select both "Custom object" and "Custom object translation" metadata types in Gearset, rather than the "Translations" metadata…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Gearset now links to the metadata documentation for each Salesforce type.

If you think there is more information we should be displaying, or if you’d like some custom documentation, then just let us know!

Thanks,
    Kevin

4. What does the "Unknown" value mean in the Changed By column

How should I interpret the "Unknown" value under the Changed By column when viewing comparisons? In what scenarios would the value Unknown appear? Please advise

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Salesforce does not return the full information for the changed on / by for some metadata items via the API. In these cases you’ll see “Unknown” as the changed by. This is typically components of larger objects, such as fields on a custom object. Gearset shows these as discrete components which can be deployed, but Salesforce generally only returns the changed information for the parent object. We are hoping that over time, Salesforce will improve the reporting of the API to include more information for these sub-components. As soon as it does, we will display that extra information. Hope that helps.

5. Prev/Next buttons did not function for setting the focus when in APEX view mode

When viewing an Apex class with differences, the Prev/Next buttons did not function for setting the focus in APEX view mode however they did function when in XML view mode.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Remember my default source control system and default to it

We use Bitbucket not git hub. So on compare metadata screen when I go to Source Control radio would be nice for the version system to default to bitbucket.

Small tweak I know but annoying to change every time. Easiest might be that the drop down list stays set to whatever system you used last?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Douglas,

I’m marking this as completed because this feature is already implemented and should remember the last VCS system you used – if it isn’t working then that’s a bug!

Note that it’s currently only implemented on the Compare and Deploy page, and is specific to the source/target (so using Bitbucket on the source side won’t carry over to the target side until you’ve used Bitbucket once on that side, and vice versa).

The preference is only saved when you actually kick off a comparison. Clearing your local storage for `app.gearset.com` may clear up any issues if you’re having problems.

We’d love your feedback if this isn’t working or isn’t implemented as you’d expect it to be.

Thanks,
    Oli

7. Search for test classes

It would be nice to be able to search for test classes instead of having to type them out in a comma separated list. Gearset already has such a nice search capability and it would be great if it were applied to that dialog as well.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow for test options from Validated Packages tab

After validating a package, the Deploy button under the Validated Packages tab should offer the same test options (No tests, Specify tests, etc.) as it does during the normal deployment workflow.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This can now be done by clicking the new Details button on a validation, which will take you to a page which includes the normal deployment workflow button with testing options.

Thanks for the suggestion!

- Oli

9. Be able to create a CI Job with the option to validate only (and quick deploy later).

For the case where users have committed changes to a "master" branch, it would be useful to automatically run a full validation on the new commit in the Production environment. In that way, a deployment manager can review the changes and quickly deploy a validated package that has passed all tests in Production.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Be able to require a commit message for deployments

Sometimes a user may forget to add in a commit message before deploying, so the history in our source control is "no commit message" which is not editable. Can we add a feature to be able to turn on marking commit messages as a requirement for deploy?

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  New feature  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow scheduled jobs to be assigned a different authentication user

We would like the ability to change over scheduled monitoring/testing jobs to a different authentication user. Currently if we need to switch an authentication we lose the history.

Consider:
    I leave my employer and I need to switch the monitoring over to another developer or admin. I have to delete all the current scheduled jobs and re-create them using the other users authorization. Which causes the history to be lost.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add org name column to deployment history

We currently have to prefix the deployment friendly name in deployment history with our sandbox/org name to be able to sort by target. It is not easily filtered either as the name column includes both source and target. We would like to have the target org as its own column in deployment history, and have it use the org friendly name as the value if one has been set.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  10 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Specify friendly name before deployment

We would like to be able to specify the desired friendly name before a deployment completes, maybe above notes on the summary screen. The friendly name is copied from an existing draft, but when we clone from sandbox to sandbox and finally prod, there's no need to save a draft every time. Ideally, the friendly name would default to that of a cloned deployment as well.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. GitLab for destination of comparaison

I can't compare my sandbox org as source against my git repo as destination of compare.
    I can see : gitHub, bitBucket as destination but no Gitlab.
    It would be nice I if I could choose Gitlab as well and update my repo from changes in my org.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. View deployed components from a CI Job

Display components deployed via a CI Job. In my case, there are a greater number of total objects deployed than I would have expected; but, I have no way of viewing the comparison for what is automatically being deployed.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add support for Visual Studio Team Services git repositories (Hosted TFS Git)

We use VTFS for version control hosted or OnPrem SVN for version control. Our enterprise architecture team has determine those are our 2 options for source control and Gearset doesn't support those options.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Ability to pause CI jobs

Ability to pause a CI job. This would allow the CI system to keep our sub environments (stage, dev, beta) updated all the time, but when we want to develop on one of them we could then pause the CI job so our changes don't get deleted. Then once we have deployed the changes to prod we can reactivate the CI job to keep things in sync.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  6 comments  ·  New feature  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add the ability to define which Apex Test's are run during the validation phase of a deployment

I would like to suggest a new feature request. We have a great need to define which apex tests are run against the Target ORG due to special configurations. We have apex classes / test classes that are created in Target ORG's that are client specific. For example, if we go to deploy our managed package from Sandbox A -> Sandbox B, the tests may fail since the content in Sandbox A needs to get to Sandbox B before the client specific changes can be updated / tested. There are multiple parts to our product and adding in the ability…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  1 comment  ·  New feature  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow search-based excluding of metadata for templates

Sometimes we have individual metadata that must be excluded-- every time-- from releases, without excluding the entire metadata category.

For our organizatin, for example, we want to exclude "Search" every time due to an error-- but we don't want to exclude the "Settings" metadata item.

It would be great if we could add specific exclusions to the template so that a specific metadata item would not even pop under the Compare screen. Doesn't really matter how it's done (fuzzy searching or specifically excluding standard items) to me.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Include/exclude individual metadata in templates by managed package

The Include Managed Packages option right now is a global one-- and, while nice, that doesn't cover situations where you want some metadata of a Managed Package (eg. a Profile permission) to be included, but not others.

Currently users have to laboriously deselect data related to Managed Package in certain areas (eg. Static Resources, Permission Sets, Custom Tabs) because it'll always fail to deploy.

The ability to include Managed Packages for some metadata, but not others, in templates would solve this issue.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

With Gearset’s named filters, you can now configure exactly which metadata components are going to be included in a comparison.

For the advanced use cases, you can also use regular expressions to define rules that, for example, include all managed components that match a certain naming convention.

You can find the docs on our site https://docs.gearset.com/feature-guides/comparisons-and-deployments/custom-metadata-filters

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base