Skip to content

Help us improve Gearset

We love getting feedback from our users on how we can make Gearset even better. Post your ideas for improvements, new features, and bug fixes alike, and vote for others – let us know what’s important to you.

If you need any further support, please contact us at team@gearset.com.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

216 results found

1. When a Picklist Populates, Don't Default to the 1st Value, Default to Blank

When I choose my destination, the system defaults the picklist to the first item on the list. Instead it should populate the list but don't pick a value.

For example, when I choose destination = BitBucket, it then takes a moment to load available branches. It takes a little bit so I go on and start to configure the metadata types. Meanwhile, Gearset populates the list and sets the value to the 1st branch on the list, in my case, feature/helpdesk. It should leave the value blank and make me pick.

This has resulted in me running long-running comparisons, and…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Simple visualization showing Process Builder differences

Assuming the high-vote count Idea for matching on latest version Process Builder flow between source and target (and not by version #) is implemented; make the visual comparison between source/target PB not solely XML.

Process Builder in XML can't be deciphered by a human mind. Hence, a simple indented text-based visualization could be done to make it more readable

1. Decision 1.1 Entry criteria 1.2 Immediate actions 1.2.1 action 1 details (XML here OK) 1.2.2 action 2 " " 1.3 Scheduled actions 1.3.1 scheduled action 1 (XML here OK) ...
    2. Next decision ...

There's an implicit tree layout in the PB…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Display "Metadata comparison (custom) filter" used on "Comparison in progress" -screen

Hi! I just started to evaluate Gearset. Looking good. When I was staring at "Comparison in progress"-screen this came to my mind:

Sometimes it takes a bit longer than expected and I start to think: "OMG - What custom filter I used? - Probably I'm comparing everything - That's why it takes so long - Maybe I should cancel this job?".

It would be more reassuring if the Metadata comparison (custom) filter being used was also shown on that "Comparison in progress" screen.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Show filtered counts on the results grid tab titles

When comparing two orgs. We need to show the eaxact number in the Tabs(Changed Items, New Items) when filtered.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Show Workflow Activities As Dependency of Parent Workflow

When selecting a Workflow Rule, its dependent components (i.e., email alerts) are not shown in the dependency view. They should be.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. refresh comparison UX - echo the filter used in the original comparison

When you click Refresh Comparison, the dialog does not echo anywhere the original filter name used in the comparison-being-refreshed. You just get a x/y filters being used.

Always good to remind the user as to which filters were originally selected without having to scroll through the list

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Support aliases for metadata types in the search box

So often, I type something in the search box for a metadata type based on the point-and-click force.com labels and the search comes up with nothing.

I'd suggest an auto-substitute option so if one types in 'Email alert', it auto-prompts for the metadata API substitute: 'Workflow alert' Or, if one types in 'Support process', it auto-prompts to substitute 'Business Process'

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Improve comparison performance

If there is one thing that is :-( about Gearset is that for moderate size orgs (a few thousand objects), the default 64 comparison takes too long.

You want to initiate a deployment from source to target and, for whatever reason, you want to make sure you didn't miss anything that needs to be deployed

So, to be safe, you initiate the 64 default comparison.

And you wait (downloading, comparison). This can take several minutes. You go on to other tasks and your zeal to get the deployment done went off onto other things as the comparison time is too…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Initiate comparison from package.xml

I'd like to be able to drop a package.xml file on the New comparison screen. Doing that will have two effects.

First off, it will drive the selection of which metadata types to include in the comparison.

Secondly, it will automatically select the components listed in the package.xml on the comparison results page.

This provides a really good way to expediting a deployment, since package.xml are used pretty universally by both IDEs and standard deployment tools (including packages).It also helps me take advantage of the intelligence of automatic dependency and all of the other goodies that Gearset has. Basically I…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Save previously entered comparison filters

I am currently using a standard regex filter each time I do a comparison. It has become quite lengthy such that I can't easily remember it. I have ended up saving it in a separate text file and have to open it, then copy and paste it into Gearset each time I do a comparison. Pretty cumbersome.

It would be nice if the Filter... text box on the comparison results screen was a combo box that when clicked, dropped down a list of recently used filters. Each entry in the list should be removable (like with a little 'x' icon…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Have a timer on the compare page to indicate how long the compare is taking

Sometimes a compare can take us 30-45 minutes depending on the complexity of the org. I would like to see a running timer on this page of how long the compare is taking. I don't expect it to say how long is left, just how long it has taken so far. This will help to highlight if any abnormalities are happening, ie. if it's taking a very long time and is only at the Downloading phase for example.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Provide the option to ignore whitespace differences in Apex

It would be great to have more control over the diff process - particularly to be able to ignore whitespace changes.

If I've made an actual function change to a class, and also auto-indented it, then it would be a lot easier to see the important change if I could hide the whitespace-only changes.

Having the ability to suppress whitespace-only changes on the list of changed objects would be really useful, too.

68 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. When the difference between Source and Target, on a particular line, is only in the formatting. Highlight in a different color

From what I can determine you are categorizing the differences as follows:
    Code in Source, not in Target – Highlighted in Green
    Code in Target not in Source – Highlighted in Red
    Difference between code in Source and Target – Highlighted in Yellow

When the difference between Source and Target, on a particular line, is only in the formatting. It would be nice if that was highlighted in a different color than yellow (perhaps grey). It would speed up the review of the code knowing a certain color was only a formatting difference.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Support deleting comparison data

Having the comparison history is a great feature, but it would be very beneficial to be able to delete any data in the system, especially when working with a trial account. Part of testing could include working with test environments that you don't want to persist after going live. Also, peace of mind when ending the trial that your data has been removed.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Here's the best solution: Be able to quickly select the custom objects and standard object custom fields AND only the related metadata items

Would like to be able to quickly select the custom objects and standard object custom fields AND only the related metadata items to make then function correctly (permissions, layouts, field level security, etc..)

Then we could go back and migrate all the process automation stuff - workflow rules, flows, trigger, etc..

It always starts with the data schema first. We need a quick way to see what is different between two orgs and get that synced first

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Include both dates on comparison export

The sheet exported from a comparison currently includes only one date column. It is unclear which org this refers to. It would be great if it included two columns (one per org) so that one didn't have to individually look up the item to determine which version is newer.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Differentiate XML and Code differences in the comparison

I would find it very useful if the comparison result highlighted if the difference was in the XML or the Code (or both) for each item. This would especially save time when there are a lot of differences.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Unselect all standard profiles & related permission

Often you want to deploy Admin profile and (x) custom profiles. Compare and deploy picks up hundreds of entries for standard profiles which are surplus to requirements. A single click way would be veryuseful.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Scroll to top of category, when switch between All Items, Changed Items etc

Just a user preference item – when you switch tabs (ex: New Objects to Deleted Objects), it doesn’t place you at the top of the window.

So if I scroll down through all the New Objects and then switch tabs to the Deleted Objects, it just places me in the same relative location as I was in the New Objects tab.

It would be nice to have it reset to the top of each window when I switch tabs.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add merge functionality to the diff tool

Extend the diff tool to allow the user to perform a merge, creating a new version of the component that contains some changes from the source version and some changes from the target version. This would be very useful in a team development scenario where multiple devs are working on features in individual dev sandboxes and then pushing completed features into an integration sandbox.

79 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base