Help us improve Gearset

Welcome to the Gearset feedback forum. We love getting feedback from our users on how we can make Gearset even better.

Post your ideas and vote for others – let us know what’s important to you. We’re keen to hear about product improvements, new features, and bug fixes alike. We check this forum regularly and will keep ideas updated with their current status. If you need any further support, please contact us at team@gearset.com.

I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add option to suppress managed custom fields in comparison results

When comparing Custom Objects that contain the managed custom fields there is no way to suppress the managed custom fields. The fields would show up in the comparison results even without being requested. The problem analyzers then highlights and remove these managed custom fields.

This is cumbersome when repeated and makes finding genuine differences we care about more difficult.

From the problem analyzers, it sounds like Gearset is able to identify the managed custom fields. Therefore could there be an option under [Include managed package] in the Custom Filters that allows the suppression of known managed fields in comparison results?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2. Allow deployments across managed package versions

Gearset does not allow comparisons or deployments of custom metadata on managed packages if the versions are different. We got ourselves in a situation where a package in the sandbox was a higher beta version that we couldn't upgrade to. This required us to do all the field deployments via changsets.

Adding a warning for deployments across managed package versions would be ideal as most changes one would deploy wouldn't necessarily cause any issues.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Allow Downloading of git diff for Comparison

It can be difficult to evaluate the scope of changes by clicking in the Comparison view on one metadata element at a time to see the differences. We would much prefer to be able to download a git diff and examine the delta as a cohesive changeset.

The user should be able to download the contents of the currently selected tab (All Changes, New Changes, or Selected Changes) in the format of a git unified diff. The user can then use the software of their choice to view the diff.

This will also enable more advanced workflows, as git diffs…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Suggest related metadata for selected types in filter

Gearset provides some very useful documentation on the importance of including groups of related metadata in a filter.

https://docs.gearset.com/metadata-deployment-guides/using-gearset-to-deploy-profiles

It would be very helpful if the Manage Filters dialog implemented these suggestions. For example, when a Profile is included in the filter, the user should be prompted to also select Profile Password Policy, Profile Session Setting, External Data Source, Apex pages, Layouts, and Custom Objects. Otherwise, the likelihood of Gearset assembling an accurate Profile without all of the related components will be slim.

Gearset obviously has deep knowledge of metadata semantics and dependencies. The Manage Filter page needs to reflect…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Deploy single layoutitems

In Layouts there are multiple layoutItems. it would be helpful if we could to deploy single <layoutItems> from a Layout without affecting other <layoutItems>.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Show *all* matching items on All Items, even if they haven't been changed.

I couldn't find a field that I was looking for today, despite searching for it specifically, because it was hidden inside it's parent object. I understand that the reason for this was something to do with there being no difference on the field (and I appreciate that the reason is to avoid clogging up the screen!), but if you're searching for a specific field, I think it should really show up...

Took me bothering someone on live chat to figure out what was going on.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow editing on source XML

Is possible to snip out parts of a source XML file during a compare and deploy run?

I have a file that's changed in both orgs and I just want to import the new bits from one org into the other, rather than delete what's new in that second org.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Display the Filter used in the Comparison history screen

It would be helpful in finding the right comparison to look at if you could see on the Comparison History screen which filter was used. It would also be helpful when looking at the comparison details to know which filter was used.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Selection Count Mismatch

The Selection count on ‘Compare and Deploy’ page doesn’t match with ‘Items Selected’ on ‘Draft Deployment’ when a draft deployment is opened. Having this in sync will help user that all selections are going in the deployment.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Be able to exclude single items from comparison

E.g. If I generally want to include all Custom fields for all Objects in the comparison, but there’s one specific field that I don’t ever want to send across to the target org, it’ll keep popping up and I’ll have to uncheck it each time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Track Items Added to Draft Packages

It would be nice to be able to see which items within a comparison are part of Draft Packages. We have a need to build multiple packages from a single Comparison of Instances. This can be done by creating many Drafts, but it is sometimes difficult to know if items have been added to a draft package already. If we could visually see this, it would allow us to generate and confirm our packages much faster.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. give the ability to ignore certain changes between Sandbox and Production enviornments

After deploying from a Sandbox to a Production environment, you will always see a 'change' for Custom Objects and Custom Fields because there is no Encryption Scheme (for example)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Refresh Comparison should have an option: "Selected Files only"

A common use case is:
    1. Compare default(66) source and target
    2. Select some files
    3. Deploy
    4. Get some error indicative of either missing file or out-of-date file(s)
    5. Fix file(s) in underlying org/source branch.
    6. "Back to results" Optionally mark additional files as selected.
    7. "Refresh Comparison"

This takes too long, you just want the selected files to compare (and really, just get on with deploying). You don't want to wait for both source and target metadata to load and compare. You don't want to uncheck/check specific metadata components that represent your selected files. You just want a…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. refresh comparison UX - echo the filter used in the original comparison

When you click Refresh Comparison, the dialog does not echo anywhere the original filter name used in the comparison-being-refreshed. You just get a x/y filters being used.

Always good to remind the user as to which filters were originally selected without having to scroll through the list

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Display "Metadata comparison (custom) filter" used on "Comparison in progress" -screen

Hi! I just started to evaluate Gearset. Looking good. When I was staring at "Comparison in progress"-screen this came to my mind:

Sometimes it takes a bit longer than expected and I start to think: "OMG - What custom filter I used? - Probably I'm comparing everything - That's why it takes so long - Maybe I should cancel this job?".

It would be more reassuring if the Metadata comparison (custom) filter being used was also shown on that "Comparison in progress" screen.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Improve comparison performance

If there is one thing that is :-( about Gearset is that for moderate size orgs (a few thousand objects), the default 64 comparison takes too long.

You want to initiate a deployment from source to target and, for whatever reason, you want to make sure you didn't miss anything that needs to be deployed

So, to be safe, you initiate the 64 default comparison.

And you wait (downloading, comparison). This can take several minutes. You go on to other tasks and your zeal to get the deployment done went off onto other things as the comparison time is too…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Initiate comparison from package.xml

I'd like to be able to drop a package.xml file on the New comparison screen. Doing that will have two effects.

First off, it will drive the selection of which metadata types to include in the comparison.

Secondly, it will automatically select the components listed in the package.xml on the comparison results page.

This provides a really good way to expediting a deployment, since package.xml are used pretty universally by both IDEs and standard deployment tools (including packages).It also helps me take advantage of the intelligence of automatic dependency and all of the other goodies that Gearset has. Basically I…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Support deleting comparison data

Having the comparison history is a great feature, but it would be very beneficial to be able to delete any data in the system, especially when working with a trial account. Part of testing could include working with test environments that you don't want to persist after going live. Also, peace of mind when ending the trial that your data has been removed.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Provide the option to ignore whitespace differences in Apex

It would be great to have more control over the diff process - particularly to be able to ignore whitespace changes.

If I've made an actual function change to a class, and also auto-indented it, then it would be a lot easier to see the important change if I could hide the whitespace-only changes.

Having the ability to suppress whitespace-only changes on the list of changed objects would be really useful, too.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion.

We have plans to improve the way the diff viewer handles changes and whitespace in the future, though it’s not currently under development.

Thanks,
    Jason.

20. Allow me to exclude metadata.

I have certain metadata which is broken or dangerous to migrate from a dev org, I'd like to exclude it from this and subsequent releases. If I could 'right click' and ignore it that would be good.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base