Help us improve Gearset

Welcome to the Gearset feedback forum. We love getting feedback from our users on how we can make Gearset even better.

Post your ideas and vote for others – let us know what’s important to you. We’re keen to hear about product improvements, new features, and bug fixes alike. We check this forum regularly and will keep ideas updated with their current status. If you need any further support, please contact us at team@gearset.com.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Refresh specific item in comparison through context menu

It would be great to refresh a specific item within a comparison that I know has changed since the last comparison.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2. Explicitly set object-level permissions, even if these are omitted from XML provided by Salesforce API

Valerio recommended that I post this suggestion following a discussion on 29 August 2019.

Issue reference:
    https://docs.gearset.com/en/articles/3226459-a-note-on-deploying-custom-object-permissions-on-new-profiles

Issue:
    1. Remove all object-level access for "Lead" from a custom profile in a source org
    2. Deploy this profile to a target org
    3. The profile in the target org will have access to the "Lead" object ENABLED, because this access is included in the Standard User profile (see document link above)

The workaround (deploying and then deploying again) is cumbersome and not always practical, e.g. if making automated, one-step deployments outside of Gearset. Failing to make a second deployment means that…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Resolve "Data Owner" User metadata from difference comparisons (always exclude or compare, then exclude)

Salesforce has begun adding User metadata to fields. One good example right now is the "Data Owner" field that appears on all custom fields now (in XML this field is labelled as "BusinessOwnerUser"). The field does not link via a Salesforce ID; it instead displays the Salesforce Username of the user.

Naturally, this field in 99.9% of Salesforce environment comparisons is going to be different. "user@domain.com.sandbox" won't ever match to "user@domain.com" in production-- and it definitely won't ever match to any other Sandbox, either.

This leads to a nightmare scenario where if this field has been…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Support package.xml filtering when using Git comparison with a SFDX folder structure

When using a git repo with a SFDX folder structure + package/xml (in the /manifest folder) gearset dos not take into account elements in the package.xml when checking the option (filter with package.xml)

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Provide ordering for metadata elements when committing to version control

When metadata is retrieved from Salesforce the order of child nodes is not guaranteed and results in false-positive changes when committing to version control. Usually this will be something simple like workflow actions/criteria appearing out-of-order which can be compared manually. However, recently we've noticed entire profiles being committed with every permissions element out-of-order, resulting in a change set with ~20k lines where the actual change is impossible to visualize.

Gearset should provide a feature to 'order' child XML elements alphabetically by name in order to provide consistent commits to version control and eliminate false-positives.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add a tab for Items that the Items I Selected Depend On

It would be so cool if there could be a tab that shows all the items that my selected items depend on. It would be much easier to review / select them then the way I do it now, which is expanding each item in the Selected Items tab to check for things I need to add.

Thanks!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Improve CI validations jobs - allow incremental comparisons with Github Pull Request/Push Validations

Currently, the only way to validate a branch, push, or pull request is to essentially have gearset pull all metadata from the repository and the org.

This can result in a long wait time for validation. It'd be great if we could have quicker turnaround for users to get feedback after a push/pull request.

Since github/provider of choice would have the exact metadata that changed in the push/pull request, it'd be helpful to only have gearset pull the metadata that actually changed to limit how much time is spent simply pulling all metadata to make the comparison.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Separate the Custom Settings <object> Permissions and Metadata Type permissions from the Profile or Permission set

When promoting Custom Objects and their security, we have to look at Custom Object Permissions (after loading the respective Profiles and Permission Sets in addition to the Custom Objects). We should follow a similar model for Custom Settings and Custom Metadata Types. The reason is that, if they remain part of the Profile or Permission Set, then I have to make sure that the Profile or Permission set exactly matches what I want in the target environment - I can't have any extra Custom Settings or Metadata Types that don't exist in the target environment yet or the promotion will…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Comparisons and difference visualization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. add a wrning

when adding filters in the manage custom filters section can you a check to see if the contents look like regex, and the type selected is "object name" can you pop up a warning aong the lines of "Are you sure you don't want a regex filter?"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Comparisons and difference visualization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Options to pick only selected custom labels metadata for salesforce.

Since the custom labels metadata can’t be picked individually, the Gearset compare and validate process would pull in all custom label changes. This would be a concern if we want to withhold any particular custom labels from being pushed to higher environment.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Optimize "Refresh Comparison" to only pull metadata that has been changed since the last comparison

Currently, clicking Refresh Comparison does not optimize the comparison in any way, it just allows you to skip selecting some of the configuration steps from running a new comparison.

This means that it takes the same amount of time actually comparing the orgs.

It would be nice if on clicking of "refresh comparison" the logic didn't run a full compare and instead just looked at metadata that had been changed since the last compare in order to reduce the comparison time.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow users to discard chunks/certain changes before deploying to target

For example I'm on the diff screen and I see my page layout has 5 changes/chunks of changes, but I only want to commit/deploy the first one - please add functionality so that I can discard/ignore the other 4 changes in the file and only deploy the one change I want.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. swapping source and target after compare

I was doing compare between our 2 orgs (Source: UAT, Target: DEVSTG) and I realized that I got the order wrong. Should be (Source: DEVSTG, Target: UAT). But the compare has already completed.

I wish there is a way to just flip (swap) the source and target without re-comparing as it takes some time comparing between orgs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Distinguish between code changes and just API metadata changes for Apex in Comparison Window

For large code comparisons, it'd be great to have the ability to see when it's just a change in API vs. actual differences. Right now, you'd have to click on every row to see what the actual change was.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Deployment screen to show which components were selected vs included

When you get to the summary page, often times you will be deploying with the need for sub-components to be included in the package despite them being actual changes.

When you're selecting those items inside the comparison page, it would be helpful to see that total be reflected in the deployment summary page. So if you picked 50 items to deploy but it needed an additional 1,000 components (despite them having No Difference) then we should see those breakdowns on the Deployment Summary

Gearset soft alrt message "Some components with difference type of No difference have been added to the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Ability to Compare metadata filters

When we have too many metadata filters, it is getting hard to keep track of them and figure out the similarities between them. It would be great to have an option to compare custom metadata filters.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add a column to indicate if XML matches if order doesn't matter

See this link: https://docs.gearset.com/en/articles/2413367-why-is-xml-order-of-some-metadata-in-the-comparison-results-different

Sometimes, the XML of an item in sandbox/production can be the same, but not in the same order. This leads to false positives showing up in the list as "changed items".

I understand that sometimes order matters (eg: in picklists) but maybe there could be an additional column which shows if there are no differences if you ignore order? Maybe even a setting to turn the column on and off so it's not confusing?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow individual lines to be selected for inclusion or exclusion of a deployment

Allow individual lines to be selected for inclusion or exclusion of a deployment

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Dependency Enhancement for App Menu metadata

Currently, when we compare App Menu metadata, the "Depends On" tree is empty, even though it definitely has dependencies on connectedApps and customApplications.

Please add dependency analysis for App Menu metadata,

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base