Help us improve Gearset

Welcome to the Gearset feedback forum. We love getting feedback from our users on how we can make Gearset even better.

Post your ideas and vote for others – let us know what’s important to you. We’re keen to hear about product improvements, new features, and bug fixes alike. We check this forum regularly and will keep ideas updated with their current status. If you need any further support, please contact us at team@gearset.com.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. When validation fails, allow option to automatically remove metadata from deployment that was causing failure

It's not convenient when a validation fails, to then download the excel file of the the validation errors, view in separately form Gearset, and then go through the list of metadata I'm trying to deploy and try to uncheck each one that failed the validation. It would be nice if Gearset did that for me.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Deployment automation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Provide a way to init a sandbox

It would be nice if there was a quick way of init'ing a new sandbox that matches either what was in source control or an existing sandbox.

Currently, I need to run a comparison between the existing source and the new sandbox and then I can try the deploy, but it would be nice if the compare step was not needed and I could simply say 'overwrite what is in the sandbox with what is in the specified source'

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Deployment automation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add ability to clone deployment CI job to validation-only CI job

This would save us time duplicating regex statements for the new job

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Deployment automation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Display a custom name in Salesforce when deploying from Gearset

When we deploy a change to one of our Salesforce orgs using gearset, the name that is displayed in the "Deployment Status" in Salesforce is an ID. It would be helpful to display the name that we entered in Gearset instead of the ID so that we can easily identify the changes when looking at them in Salesforce

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Deployment automation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

We have recently investigated adding this feature again, but unfortunately Salesforce still don’t seem to support being able to display custom names via the Api (or it’s a feature that’s not well documented). There are requests for adding this ability via:

https://success.salesforce.com/ideaView?id=08730000000cJdxAAE

If the situation changes then we’ll certainly revisit this. We’ll keep this post opened for other users to also add their votes but it’s currently out of our hands as to when or if it can be added.

Regards,

The Gearset Team

5. Be able to switch the direction of a comparison/deployment

Sometimes we need to reconcile changes on an object between two orgs, where some of the changes have been made in Org1 and some in Org2. Having set up metadata filters, compared and deployed required changes from Org1 to Org2, it would be nice to be able click a button to switch direction to then deploy required changes from Org2 back to Org1, without having to go through the whole process of setting up a new comparison.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Deployment automation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Better error reporting when CI jobs fail.

Better error reporting when CI jobs fail. Many times I open a failed job and there are no errors reported.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow us to personalize the report generated at the end of the deployment

I want to send the automatic report generated at the end of the deployment to my client. However, I want to personalize it with the logo of my company or add additional text.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. view deployed components live

Show live the components deployed during the running of a CI/CD Job.

Like:
    deploying class abc.......
    deploying class xyz.......
    deploying lightning Component abc.......

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. allow a method to set up default branches.

I frequently deploy from our on premises GitLab repo. It would be great to have the ability to set the default branch it goes to. It would be one less click for repetitive steps

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allowing data deployments in CI jobs

Allowing data deployments in CI jobs. So that configurations in third party apps and B2B Commerce can be deployed as part of CI.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow CI jobs to validate PRs of a branch into Separate Scratch Orgs

Currently CI jobs can only validate PRs into a regular org. So if you have multiple PRs raised to that branch then you have to wait as they each run one after the other. If we could validate into separate Scratch Orgs instead then all the PR validations could run in parallel and it would speed up validation

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. CI Job History - Show what CI runs were manual and who triggered the manual run

It's nice that the CI job history shows the source commit link for the auto triggered deployments from Github merges, but for visibility and transparency it would also be good for users to see when a job was triggered from a manual run and what users ran it.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Control When Tests are Ran Based on Metadata type

It would be nice to control when we want tests to run based on the type of changes in the triggering event for CI. Something like only run test classes on update of Apex Classes, Flows, Workflows, and Objects.
    This is a bit of a patch for not having test classes fully optimized but would be helpful with orgs who have lots of profile and layout changes.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. The option to auto-populate FLS/permissions for selected fields/objects/classes

I'd need an option to auto-deploy FLS for items i've selected in one click.
    Sometimes the amount of changes is huge, and finding and clicking Permissions for selected items one by one is not a deal. For sure, it's possible to select all Permissions in Source org, and let the wizard to deselect Permissions for missing items in target, however that the result does not usually correspond to items that are in package.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add an option to not run the comparision part in CI job (sfdx like)

When you are pushing a project with sfdx, there is no compare, sfdx just push the whole package.

It will save a lot of times.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Find/Replace before deployment

Allow a basic find/replace to run against files before final deployment.
    Examples: a username that would work in the sandbox that does not exist in production and we need to change it. Or deploying to a packaging org required a modification due to various namespace issues. Other tools have a means to do this in one way or another.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Show the commit message with the Commit ID on the CI History Screen

The CI Job History Screen would be much more useful for me if it was able to show the commit message on the commit that triggered the CSI alongside the source commit ID.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Support parallel testing during CI job

CI jobs use metadata API to deploy and run tests. The tests run serially. As such, CI jobs can take many minutes to execute

As an optional configuration for a CI job, and only if the CI is run against a non-PROD org...

1. Deploy metadata using Metadata API
    2. Run tests using Tooling API (parallel testing)
    3. If tests fail, use MetaData API to rollback the deployment

Ideally, this can shave off 50% of the CI job time

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Reuse Deployment Package (clone) should use sticky "Source Repository"

Use case:
    1. Compare and deploy from repo-R/master to org A
    2. Clone deployment from repo-R/master to org B

Unfortunately, when the clone deployment displays the dialog "Reuse Deployment Package"...

a) When you select GitHub, the dialog doesn't default the repository to Repo-R but instead displays a picklist of all possible repos the running user has access to (in our case that is 100+)
    b) Better would be to remember in cookie the repo the developer last used and default to that choice so scrolling through 100 items is not necessary.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow "Rollback" if you have a user within the same org

Rollback currently requires the user who did the deployment to enable "Deployment" user access. Instead, it would be helpful if I could use my own user, within the same org, to do the rollback.

This would be helpful if the individual who did the first deployment is unavailable.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base