Help us improve Gearset

Welcome to the Gearset feedback forum. We love getting feedback from our users on how we can make Gearset even better.

Post your ideas and vote for others – let us know what’s important to you. We’re keen to hear about product improvements, new features, and bug fixes alike. We check this forum regularly and will keep ideas updated with their current status. If you need any further support, please contact us at team@gearset.com.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Refresh specific item in comparison through context menu

It would be great to refresh a specific item within a comparison that I know has changed since the last comparison.

82 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2. Add merge functionality to the diff tool

Extend the diff tool to allow the user to perform a merge, creating a new version of the component that contains some changes from the source version and some changes from the target version. This would be very useful in a team development scenario where multiple devs are working on features in individual dev sandboxes and then pushing completed features into an integration sandbox.

60 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Provide the option to ignore whitespace differences in Apex

It would be great to have more control over the diff process - particularly to be able to ignore whitespace changes.

If I've made an actual function change to a class, and also auto-indented it, then it would be a lot easier to see the important change if I could hide the whitespace-only changes.

Having the ability to suppress whitespace-only changes on the list of changed objects would be really useful, too.

56 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Support package.xml filtering when using Git comparison with a SFDX folder structure

When using a git repo with a SFDX folder structure + package/xml (in the /manifest folder) gearset dos not take into account elements in the package.xml when checking the option (filter with package.xml)

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Allow individual lines to be selected for inclusion or exclusion of a deployment

Allow individual lines to be selected for inclusion or exclusion of a deployment

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow adding "No Difference" items to package. To help with package reuse to multiple orgs

Allow assets with "no difference" to be added to a promotion to allow the same package to be used to both promote as well as sync other sandboxes (without having to manually check if asset was changed in each).

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Explicitly set object-level permissions, even if these are omitted from XML provided by Salesforce API

Valerio recommended that I post this suggestion following a discussion on 29 August 2019.

Issue reference:
    https://docs.gearset.com/en/articles/3226459-a-note-on-deploying-custom-object-permissions-on-new-profiles

Issue:
    1. Remove all object-level access for "Lead" from a custom profile in a source org
    2. Deploy this profile to a target org
    3. The profile in the target org will have access to the "Lead" object ENABLED, because this access is included in the Standard User profile (see document link above)

The workaround (deploying and then deploying again) is cumbersome and not always practical, e.g. if making automated, one-step deployments outside of Gearset. Failing to make a second deployment means that…

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Initiate comparison from package.xml

I'd like to be able to drop a package.xml file on the New comparison screen. Doing that will have two effects.

First off, it will drive the selection of which metadata types to include in the comparison.

Secondly, it will automatically select the components listed in the package.xml on the comparison results page.

This provides a really good way to expediting a deployment, since package.xml are used pretty universally by both IDEs and standard deployment tools (including packages).It also helps me take advantage of the intelligence of automatic dependency and all of the other goodies that Gearset has. Basically I…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow me to exclude metadata.

I have certain metadata which is broken or dangerous to migrate from a dev org, I'd like to exclude it from this and subsequent releases. If I could 'right click' and ignore it that would be good.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add an option to ignore package version differences in Apex classes

I see many differences between apex classes where the only difference is the package version(s), no difference in the code itself. It would be nice to have an option to filter these out so that only the apex classes are shown where the code is different.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Optimize "Refresh Comparison" to only pull metadata that has been changed since the last comparison

Currently, clicking Refresh Comparison does not optimize the comparison in any way, it just allows you to skip selecting some of the configuration steps from running a new comparison.

This means that it takes the same amount of time actually comparing the orgs.

It would be nice if on clicking of "refresh comparison" the logic didn't run a full compare and instead just looked at metadata that had been changed since the last compare in order to reduce the comparison time.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. When the difference between Source and Target, on a particular line, is only in the formatting. Highlight in a different color

From what I can determine you are categorizing the differences as follows:
    Code in Source, not in Target – Highlighted in Green
    Code in Target not in Source – Highlighted in Red
    Difference between code in Source and Target – Highlighted in Yellow

When the difference between Source and Target, on a particular line, is only in the formatting. It would be nice if that was highlighted in a different color than yellow (perhaps grey). It would speed up the review of the code knowing a certain color was only a formatting difference.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add an option to ignore location changes for Flow

Hi, when reviewing changes for flows that are being deployed, it would be great to have a toggle option to hide or alternately color location changes which are just the location of elements on the flow canvas editor.
    <locationX>1353</locationX>
    <locationY>1305</locationY>

Sometimes there are hundreds of location changes and it obscures the important information about what else changed.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. would be cool to be able to "ignore" certain differences

would be cool to be able to "ignore" certain differences... e.g. encryption. So if encryption is enabled in a Production Org but not in a Sandbox (not sure if Encryption is possible for SBs), you have a difference for every custom field <encrypted>true/false</encrypted> which is really irritating.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Identify that metadata is the same, even if ordered differently by metadata API

There are a lot of instances where the comparison will identify metadata as different, but the only difference is the way the API is ordering the XML. I've seen it happen a lot with picklist values on multi-select picklist fields. It would be nice to be able to turn this on/off somehow so that metadata that isn't truly different won't show up in the difference compare.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Deploy single layoutitems

In Layouts there are multiple layoutItems. it would be helpful if we could to deploy single <layoutItems> from a Layout without affecting other <layoutItems>.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Improve PermissionSet comparisons by providing an option to ignore fieldPermissions when their editable/readable are set to false

Current Metadata Behavior:
    When a new object is added, objectPermissions are only added to a PermissionSet only if one of allowCreate, allowDelete, allowEdit, modifyAllRecords, viewAllRecords are set to true
    When a new field is added, the new fieldPermission is added to all PermissionSets by default (with editable and readable set to false).

NB. PermissionSets are additive in behavior and can only open up access not revoke. Values of false have no meaning and are only noise.

Current Gearset Comparison Behavior:
    Comparing PermissionSets show these new fieldPermssions as New Items even when default values for editable, readable are set to false.…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. To add capability to mark (to ignore) not selected items to be able to remember that the particular item is not required to be deployed

When compare source and target, sometimes u do an educated decision to NOT select something, and then selecting the rest of the items. Then if the compare results saved as a Draft Deployment, u may return back to it, and do a refresh for the comparison. In this case Gearset would kindly save all of the selected items. But for items that were not selected by the user, not they are mixed up with the new differences. So user have to remember, that this particular item he did not select intentinally, but this item that is not selected is a…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Provide ordering for metadata elements when committing to version control

When metadata is retrieved from Salesforce the order of child nodes is not guaranteed and results in false-positive changes when committing to version control. Usually this will be something simple like workflow actions/criteria appearing out-of-order which can be compared manually. However, recently we've noticed entire profiles being committed with every permissions element out-of-order, resulting in a change set with ~20k lines where the actual change is impossible to visualize.

Gearset should provide a feature to 'order' child XML elements alphabetically by name in order to provide consistent commits to version control and eliminate false-positives.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. swapping source and target after compare

I was doing compare between our 2 orgs (Source: UAT, Target: DEVSTG) and I realized that I got the order wrong. Should be (Source: DEVSTG, Target: UAT). But the compare has already completed.

I wish there is a way to just flip (swap) the source and target without re-comparing as it takes some time comparing between orgs.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base