Skip to content

Help us improve Gearset

We love getting feedback from our users on how we can make Gearset even better. Post your ideas for improvements, new features, and bug fixes alike, and vote for others – let us know what’s important to you.

If you need any further support, please contact us at team@gearset.com.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

217 results found

1. Difference Viewer custom object name: include suffix __c, __x, __mdt, __e, etc

When you look in the Difference Viewer, it is not clear at all by inspection which line of Metadata Type "Custom Object" is a standard object, custom object, platform event, custom metadata type, historcial trending object, etc.

For example, Custom object Foo__c displays simply in the Name column as Foo. This is a loss of information in the difference viewer, especially if one has similarly-named custom object metadata types such as:

Fooc
    Foos
    e
    FooConfig__mdt

these display as
    Foo
    Foos
    FooConfig

The full Sobject Name gives the user hints as to perhaps other related components that need to be…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Cache deployment inspection results

It would be great if deployment inspection results were cached, such that the results for an identical set of metadata are available without spending the time to recheck everything.

Use case: A comparison is performed and all changes selected. Deployment inspection is performed and recommendations are made for items to add/exclude. I select a subset of recommendations, and move forward with validation. The validation fails. The same comparison is reopened and again all metadata is selected (with the intention of selecting more of the add/export recommendations resulting from the inspection). At this point, the inspection is rerun, even though the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add an option to use a custom "Gearset format" for the source control output

The XML that comes from Salesforce is weirdly bundled together. When changes are made it's really hard to reconcile two branches in source control when merging.

When comparing, Gearset nicely decomposes changes into smaller chunks. So instead of putting that back into the usual XML, an option to store that "internal format" and even just stick it as JSON or similar.

After all - it'll be Gearset reading it back in to compare to an org next time, and smaller changes will be easier to merge as they won't conflict inside horrendously large XML files

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. When a Picklist Populates, Don't Default to the 1st Value, Default to Blank

When I choose my destination, the system defaults the picklist to the first item on the list. Instead it should populate the list but don't pick a value.

For example, when I choose destination = BitBucket, it then takes a moment to load available branches. It takes a little bit so I go on and start to configure the metadata types. Meanwhile, Gearset populates the list and sets the value to the 1st branch on the list, in my case, feature/helpdesk. It should leave the value blank and make me pick.

This has resulted in me running long-running comparisons, and…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Ability to manually hide/filter component differences by single flag

When reviewing comparisons it would be extremely helpful to have the ability to manually 'hide' a component difference (e.g. a single flag to filter out, ignore, or even 'grey' a component differences) once you have a) reviewed the XML and b) determined you do not want to deploy or view that component in a saved draft. I.e. a third state that is not simply 'selected' or 'deselected'.

Current filters by component type, name, et al. don't accommodate for wanting to hide a known component difference (e.g. like an Apex class still under development) so that you can only see remaining…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Show filtered counts on the results grid tab titles

When comparing two orgs. We need to show the eaxact number in the Tabs(Changed Items, New Items) when filtered.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Show # differences found in comparison display

It would be a nice feature to see the number of differences for each item from the perspective of the source org vs target org.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. refresh comparison UX - echo the filter used in the original comparison

When you click Refresh Comparison, the dialog does not echo anywhere the original filter name used in the comparison-being-refreshed. You just get a x/y filters being used.

Always good to remind the user as to which filters were originally selected without having to scroll through the list

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Provide link from standard field to Standard Value Set

Some of the standard picklist fields in Salesforce have their values defined in Standard Value Sets. This means when you add a new value in the Salesforce UI, for example in the Type field of the Case object, that you are actually editing the CaseType Standard Value Set and not the Case Custom Object.

Gearset detects all these differences, but it isn't obvious why Case.Type appears as unchanged in a Gearset comparison. It would be better if Gearset showed some help text in the Case.Type object definition that pointed me to some help docs or linked me to the exact…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Display "Metadata comparison (custom) filter" used on "Comparison in progress" -screen

Hi! I just started to evaluate Gearset. Looking good. When I was staring at "Comparison in progress"-screen this came to my mind:

Sometimes it takes a bit longer than expected and I start to think: "OMG - What custom filter I used? - Probably I'm comparing everything - That's why it takes so long - Maybe I should cancel this job?".

It would be more reassuring if the Metadata comparison (custom) filter being used was also shown on that "Comparison in progress" screen.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. In comparison mode, remember whether I want to see the XML view or a friendlier view of the object I'm looking at.

I noticed that the non-XML option label changes depending on what type of object I'm looking at. Regardless, if I select the non-XML option in comparison mode, I'd like the site to remember that option during my session so I don't have to keep re-clicking the non-XML option for each line item.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Simple visualization showing Process Builder differences

Assuming the high-vote count Idea for matching on latest version Process Builder flow between source and target (and not by version #) is implemented; make the visual comparison between source/target PB not solely XML.

Process Builder in XML can't be deciphered by a human mind. Hence, a simple indented text-based visualization could be done to make it more readable

1. Decision 1.1 Entry criteria 1.2 Immediate actions 1.2.1 action 1 details (XML here OK) 1.2.2 action 2 " " 1.3 Scheduled actions 1.3.1 scheduled action 1 (XML here OK) ...
    2. Next decision ...

There's an implicit tree layout in the PB…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Improve PermissionSet comparisons by providing an option to ignore fieldPermissions when their editable/readable are set to false

Current Metadata Behavior:
    When a new object is added, objectPermissions are only added to a PermissionSet only if one of allowCreate, allowDelete, allowEdit, modifyAllRecords, viewAllRecords are set to true
    When a new field is added, the new fieldPermission is added to all PermissionSets by default (with editable and readable set to false).

NB. PermissionSets are additive in behavior and can only open up access not revoke. Values of false have no meaning and are only noise.

Current Gearset Comparison Behavior:
    Comparing PermissionSets show these new fieldPermssions as New Items even when default values for editable, readable are set to false.…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Show Workflow Activities As Dependency of Parent Workflow

When selecting a Workflow Rule, its dependent components (i.e., email alerts) are not shown in the dependency view. They should be.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. would be cool to be able to "ignore" certain differences

would be cool to be able to "ignore" certain differences... e.g. encryption. So if encryption is enabled in a Production Org but not in a Sandbox (not sure if Encryption is possible for SBs), you have a difference for every custom field <encrypted>true/false</encrypted> which is really irritating.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Support aliases for metadata types in the search box

So often, I type something in the search box for a metadata type based on the point-and-click force.com labels and the search comes up with nothing.

I'd suggest an auto-substitute option so if one types in 'Email alert', it auto-prompts for the metadata API substitute: 'Workflow alert' Or, if one types in 'Support process', it auto-prompts to substitute 'Business Process'

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Filter out Custom Field differences based on Field Tracking History

If the only difference in the field is that History Tracking is turned on, it would be nice to filter these results out.

Running checks on our app with multiple customers, who all set history tracking differently, can create a lot of noise to filter through to find actual differences.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add a validation/warning for when users try to filter only permission set for comparing and deploying

we believe that if we are given the option to filter only permission sets for the comparison, there should be some type of validation ensuring that you are also including dependencies such as custom objects, apex classes etc so that we don't make the assumption that filtering permission sets only in the comparison will include all dependencies

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Filter standard vs custom objects

We sell a managed package and will never include standard objects in a comparison, and absolutely not in source control. When I'm running a compare against source control to check for changes, it will show all of the standard objects as "custom objects" which is not correct. I should have a way to filter out standard objects from the comparison.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Improve comparison performance

If there is one thing that is :-( about Gearset is that for moderate size orgs (a few thousand objects), the default 64 comparison takes too long.

You want to initiate a deployment from source to target and, for whatever reason, you want to make sure you didn't miss anything that needs to be deployed

So, to be safe, you initiate the 64 default comparison.

And you wait (downloading, comparison). This can take several minutes. You go on to other tasks and your zeal to get the deployment done went off onto other things as the comparison time is too…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base