Help us improve Gearset

Welcome to the Gearset feedback forum. We love getting feedback from our users on how we can make Gearset even better.

Post your ideas and vote for others – let us know what’s important to you. We’re keen to hear about product improvements, new features, and bug fixes alike. We check this forum regularly and will keep ideas updated with their current status. If you need any further support, please contact us at team@gearset.com.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support customer S3 buckets for storage

Allowing customers to specify their own S3 buckets for storage could be beneficial for the product. This would give the customer enhanced security and control over their data.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2. Would like the ability to print the current comparison for selected objects before deploying

I would like the ability to print the current comparison for selected objects before deploying to use for documentation purposes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Monitoring and reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Access to Critical Updates

We use Gearset as our primary utility for managing various client orgs include Production and Sandboxes for Testing and Release Management. It would be great if there was also a way to access, review and potentially enable/disable any Critical Updates in any org from Gearset.

However, I do understand that Critical Updates may not currently be accessible from the metadata API.

Just a thought,
    Mike

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Deployment automation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Provide a way to deploy push topics

We have a push topic that we use but there is currently no easy way to deploy changes between orgs. Would it be possible to do this via Gearset?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Deployment automation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Page Layout Deletion Not Detected

When I remove a page layout from my Git repository (the file and the package.xml entry) and then do a comparison to an org that it still exists in, Gearset fails to detect a deletion. It doesn't even show up in the All objects tab. It happened to me yesterday and then I just reproduced it now.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Echo source/target on Resolve Missing Dependencies page

If you are using Gearset to deploy between multiple orgs/repos, you may find you have launched the analyzer on multiple tabs within the browser (or across browsers). Since this operation takes some minutes, when the page 'Resolve mIssing Dependencies' appears, you get no clue as to the source/target. In today's multi-tasking life of a developer, it is easy to get lost and forget which tab was for which deployment.

Basically, the principle should be to echo the source/target in the header of all pages/dialogs - especially if the operation to arrive at that page is not 'instant' wherein the user…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Warn if a selected metadata type is not supported by selected API version

In the custom filters dialog, if you select a metadata type that is not supported by the API version, the compare and deploy currently just silently ignores that item, giving the impression that the compare has failed. e.g. selecting "Duplicate rule" with metadata version prior to 38.0.

It would be good for Gearset to provide a warning if a selected metadata type is not supported by the selected API version.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Warn when deploying objects without profile settings

I build a VF page, test it, deploy it and discover much later that I forgot to add profiles other than system admin to the page. Users can't see the page and get a permissions denied error.

So, the suggestion is to have a an optional analyzers that warns when deploying a new VF page to a target org where the only permission is System Admin. While this could be legit in some use cases, in most use cases, this is a self-inflicted omission.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add a copy to clipboard button for Deployment friendly name

I find that I'm frequently copying to the clipboard the friendly name of the deployment into the notes of the next deployment or the friendly name of some other deployment. In addition to the pencil and delete buttons, add a copy to clipboard button

Note I still support other User Voice suggestions like auto-copying the deployment notes from Deployment X to cloned deployment Y or auto-defaulting the friendly name of the deployment from the deployment notes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Monitoring and reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Enhanced Comparison filter - filter by difference count

My use-case would somewhat be handled by separating code and xml differences, but I would like to be able to filter on difference count (or at least, easily see / sort by diff count).

For example: We are updating the API version on all of our classes and triggers (about 279 files this go around) and I want to make sure that the API update is the only diff when doing a deployment. Or to be worded differently: only deploy files where the only difference is the API version.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Avoid spurious Analyzer message for Permissions on required fields

If you deploy permissions for, say Task.Type, Gearset deployment analyzer displays: "Exclude the following from the deployment - Field permissions for fields that are probably required fields on the target"

Field Task.Type (V39) is not a required field. If one ignores the suggested exclusion, permissions deploy just fine.

Elimination of spurious analyzer warnings increases utility of the remaining analyzer messages that are the raison d'etre of Gearset

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Show status in Chrome tab title

In Chrome, it is possible to display info even when viewing a different tab.

For example, I see this done with financial sites when they want to show the value of a stock ticker symbol.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Have the option to attach test details to test notification email

When you set up notification options for test monitoring, there should be a checkbox for attaching the detailed test result csv file to the email

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Save previously entered comparison filters

I am currently using a standard regex filter each time I do a comparison. It has become quite lengthy such that I can't easily remember it. I have ended up saving it in a separate text file and have to open it, then copy and paste it into Gearset each time I do a comparison. Pretty cumbersome.

It would be nice if the Filter... text box on the comparison results screen was a combo box that when clicked, dropped down a list of recently used filters. Each entry in the list should be removable (like with a little 'x' icon…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add an analyzer/repair option for ConnectedApps w/ ConsumerKeys

ConnectedApps are part of the Default 64 metadata set. yet if you try to deploy a ConnectedApp that uses a ConsumerKey in the source org, you will get a deployment error either "The consumer key is already taken" if target org has that ConnectedApp already or "You cannot provide a Consumer Key" if a new ConnectedApp

Since the deployment is going to fail, there should be a Gearset Analyzer that checks for this and removes from the deployment

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Properly handle SFDC change of API name for Order "Activate" button on layouts

CustomObject 'Order' Page layouts from orgs created from orgs prior to V39 may have in the layout metadata <excludebuttons>Activate</excludeButtons>

For V39 (and possibly earlier) orgs, 'Activate' is no longer the OOTB API name for the button with label 'Activate'. The button API name is ActivateOrder. Hence, deployment fails with error "In field: excludeButtons, no such standard action:Activate"

There is no workaround except to exclude the Order layout from the Gearset Selected Objects. This is not a good workaround for a commonly-used OOTB SFDC Standard object.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Check for conflicts on CI

We have a scenario where CI would be useful, but there is a risk of it making destructive changes...

Orgs in involved are Prod, UAT, Dev.

Ideal development path would be Dev->UAT->Prod with each deployment using Gearset.

In the real world, admins make some changes directly in Prod. So, we also need to merge changes back from Prod->UAT to make sure that UAT is a realistic test environment.

It would be great if we could make a CI connection from Prod->UAT which automatically deploys non-destructive changes, and notifies us if a change cannot be sent to UAT for risk of…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. The number of differences does not appear to the left of the Prev/Next buttons in XML view mode

However, the number of differences does appear when viewing the same Apex class in APEX view mode.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. False positives in managed code

When I enable comparing managed packages (e.g. when I have added a field to a managed custom object), I get lots of false positives saying that there are differences in apex code.

On the source org, the code is show as "(hidden)"; on the target it is shown as empty. And Gearset lists this as a change.

Obviously, I know it's not a change, but it adds a lot of clutter to the comparison view.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Suggestion - make comparison highlight colors configurable

The background highlight colors for differences are much too light to be able to be seen clearly when viewing in APEX mode. Colors are much brighter in XML mode. Request - allowing these colors to be configurable. Thanks for the consideration.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Comparisons and difference visualization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base