Help us improve Gearset

Welcome to the Gearset feedback forum. We love getting feedback from our users on how we can make Gearset even better.

Post your ideas and vote for others – let us know what’s important to you. We’re keen to hear about product improvements, new features, and bug fixes alike. We check this forum regularly and will keep ideas updated with their current status. If you need any further support, please contact us at team@gearset.com.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Gearset API to externally trigger Gearset actions

It would be incredibly helpful to trigger Gearset comparisons, validations, deployments, etc. from an external source using an API. Our team uses GitHub for our VCS, which provides the perfect opportunity to:
    1. design webhooks to validate changes in order to approve a Pull Request
    2. design webhooks to automatically deploy changes to an org once the PR is approved.

Additionally, CI tools such as Jenkins, TravisCI, TeamCity, etc could use such an API to design complex builds that still employ Gearset, but use the external tool for additional actions outside of what Gearset provides for their CI features.

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2. Provide the option to ignore whitespace differences in Apex

It would be great to have more control over the diff process - particularly to be able to ignore whitespace changes.

If I've made an actual function change to a class, and also auto-indented it, then it would be a lot easier to see the important change if I could hide the whitespace-only changes.

Having the ability to suppress whitespace-only changes on the list of changed objects would be really useful, too.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Add an auto-save feature while building deployment packages

As Gearset is run through a web browser, if the browser happens to freeze while a package is being built, you don't have the opportunity to save it as a Draft Deployment. An auto-save feature would allow someone to pick up where they left off, or when the last auto-save was done, without having to start from scratch.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Deployment automation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Provide individual class code coverage statistics

Running tests displays overall org code coverage... it would be cool if you could provide individual class code coverage statistics as well, so we could get a good idea of what classes / triggers need attention

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Testing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add merge functionality to the diff tool

Extend the diff tool to allow the user to perform a merge, creating a new version of the component that contains some changes from the source version and some changes from the target version. This would be very useful in a team development scenario where multiple devs are working on features in individual dev sandboxes and then pushing completed features into an integration sandbox.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Commit-by-commit deployment

As you are giving an option to trigger the CI job based on repository commit, it would make more sense to only compare the source and target based on the commit items and consider the commit changes for deployment based on your selection of either new, modified or deleted and the comparison filter(which can be optional in this case).

This will help in reducing the chances of overriding the changes of other teams working in a shared environment or an environment not in sync with the branch.

There can be other scenarios where we maintain managed package items in the…

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Deployment automation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Naming Org Pairs

I'd like to be able to name 'Pairs' of orgs so I don't have to re-select them, like 'DEV to UAT' or 'HOTFIX to Production'

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Team and account management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow source metadata to be customised prior to deployment

In order to support a development pipeline (e.g. Dev Environment -> Staging Environment -> Production) allow Metadata from the source Org to be modified before deployment to the target Org.

e.g. I have a RemoteSiteSetting in source that points at https://dev.example.com and in my staging environment I need this to point to https://stg.example.com

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion Paul.

It’s something we should be able to do, but we need to do a little bit of investigation first to work out exactly how this feature should look and what the functionality would be.

Thanks,
    Jason.

9. configure which problem analyzer results to use in CI jobs

Being able to configure which problem analyser results to use in CI jobs.

For instance, we can’t deploy any changes to managed packages because the problem analyser will ignore them (even though we have components from a managed package that we can modify and deploy without issues), that would help to reduce our manual steps during deployments.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  New feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Support package.xml filtering when using Git comparison with a SFDX folder structure

When using a git repo with a SFDX folder structure + package/xml (in the /manifest folder) gearset dos not take into account elements in the package.xml when checking the option (filter with package.xml)

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. A configuration to prevent deployment from certain Sandbox Org into Production org

In most of Tech industry deployment lifecycle, all code or config changes are ideally pushed into production only from a FullCopy Sandbox(Commonly Known as Staging Environment).

It would be very good to have a feature in GearSet App which if enabled shouldn't allow user deploying data from Dev/DevPro/Partial Sandbox into Production Org.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  New feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Ability to chose multiple targets for a deployment

It would be nice to be able to deploy to multiple environments all at once from one source.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  New feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow other Enterprise Users who do not own the CI Job to run it

Enterprise Users can only "Run Now" Jobs that they own. If the Source and Destination Org are shared, allow other enterprise users to run the job.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Deployment automation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Refresh Comparison should have an option: "Selected Files only"

A common use case is:
    1. Compare default(66) source and target
    2. Select some files
    3. Deploy
    4. Get some error indicative of either missing file or out-of-date file(s)
    5. Fix file(s) in underlying org/source branch.
    6. "Back to results" Optionally mark additional files as selected.
    7. "Refresh Comparison"

This takes too long, you just want the selected files to compare (and really, just get on with deploying). You don't want to wait for both source and target metadata to load and compare. You don't want to uncheck/check specific metadata components that represent your selected files. You just want a…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Create Change set without comparison

Allow user to directly create a change set without doing the comparison. If user has a list of items that needs to be migrated then allow the user to add items and skip comparison step.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  New feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow me to exclude metadata.

I have certain metadata which is broken or dangerous to migrate from a dev org, I'd like to exclude it from this and subsequent releases. If I could 'right click' and ignore it that would be good.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow adding "No Difference" items to package. To help with package reuse to multiple orgs

Allow assets with "no difference" to be added to a promotion to allow the same package to be used to both promote as well as sync other sandboxes (without having to manually check if asset was changed in each).

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Reordering of XML file

At commit to branch, Gearset reorders large chunks of the XML file. This causes additional deltas (seen in the hundreds of lines) and merge conflicts.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Initiate comparison from package.xml

I'd like to be able to drop a package.xml file on the New comparison screen. Doing that will have two effects.

First off, it will drive the selection of which metadata types to include in the comparison.

Secondly, it will automatically select the components listed in the package.xml on the comparison results page.

This provides a really good way to expediting a deployment, since package.xml are used pretty universally by both IDEs and standard deployment tools (including packages).It also helps me take advantage of the intelligence of automatic dependency and all of the other goodies that Gearset has. Basically I…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Explicitly set object-level permissions, even if these are omitted from XML provided by Salesforce API

Valerio recommended that I post this suggestion following a discussion on 29 August 2019.

Issue reference:
    https://docs.gearset.com/en/articles/3226459-a-note-on-deploying-custom-object-permissions-on-new-profiles

Issue:
    1. Remove all object-level access for "Lead" from a custom profile in a source org
    2. Deploy this profile to a target org
    3. The profile in the target org will have access to the "Lead" object ENABLED, because this access is included in the Standard User profile (see document link above)

The workaround (deploying and then deploying again) is cumbersome and not always practical, e.g. if making automated, one-step deployments outside of Gearset. Failing to make a second deployment means that…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base