Help us improve Gearset

Welcome to the Gearset feedback forum. We love getting feedback from our users on how we can make Gearset even better.

Post your ideas and vote for others – let us know what’s important to you. We’re keen to hear about product improvements, new features, and bug fixes alike. We check this forum regularly and will keep ideas updated with their current status. If you need any further support, please contact us at team@gearset.com.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Warn on Master/Detail deployment even without comparing Custom Fields

If you compare Custom Fields and try to deploy something in an Object that is in a Master/Detail relationship without including the Lookup field, Gearset will warn you that the deployment will fail.

However, if you don't include "Custom Fields" in the comparison, (for example just comparing Validations) and try to push it, you will hit an error:

"Cannot set sharingModel to ControlledByParent on a CustomObject without a MasterDetail relationship field"

Gearset could easily warn the user on this when trying to push a Validation Rule on a MasterDetail object, even if Custom Field was not added to the comparison.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2. create a Default Value setting on Source Control & Connections

Reading the previous suggestions this might be a bug.

Where a user has multiple connections to Github, Bitbucket etc. It would be good to be able to set a default connection.

It is suggested that when you go to Compare, the last selection should be displayed. But I am not seeing that happening?

I would expect the default Source to display, no matter what Compare I and setting.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Include validation rules and triggers of managed packages in 'Compare and deploy disabled rules'

When configuring a data deployment there is an option to disable validation rules and triggers on the target org. However the validation rules of objects of a managed package don't get included in this comparison. Triggers of a managed package are also not included.

I'm not sure if it will be possible to disable the triggers, but for validation rules this should be possible.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Show data hosting option chosen for an account

It would be great to see the chosen data hosting option for an account in the 'My Account' area. Without it security audits will not be able to verify what setting was chosen and will have to rely on documentation held elsewhere.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  New feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Include code coverage in deployment report

Hi,
    I want to use the deployment report to monitor your progress towards improving the quality of our code.
    So I need code coverage to be included in this report.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Monitoring and reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add an option to disable Problem Analysis for CI

When running CI jobs, we can create a problem analysis template to control what potential problems can block a deployment.

For deployments from SF orgs to Git, many of the problems being analysed are just irrelevant (e.g. users don't exist in the target, because the target is not Salesforce).

Although some options can be switched off via templates, the list is not comprehensive. So, it would be great to have an option to switch off everything, or a built-in template of "no analysis".

When production is the source of truth, we just want all the metadata to get copied into…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Deployment automation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Gearset silently removes SocialPost Layout Permission when deploying

When deploying from one org to a git repo (or other org) and selecting Layout + Profiles gearset will display a Layout Permission for the "SocialPost" object. However when completing the deployment "SocialPost Layout Permission" is removed because deploying it would cause Salesforce validation errors. This is not displayed anywhere and always causes "SocialPost Layout Permission" to show as "New" when doing a comparison.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add Repo Cleaner support to SearchSettings

When you delete a custom object, the Repo Cleaner should remove the references to that custom object in the Settings metadata type - specifically SearchSettings | <searchSettingsByObject>

Otherwise, it becomes impossible to deploy Search Settings via CI jobs

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Problem analysis and deployment failures  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow Package Cloning between Saved Comparison Pairs

Please allow us to select a comparison pair as the source/destination when cloning a package. This will make it much easier to select the source and destination when cloning a package, and reduce the risks associated with accidentally selecting the wrong repo or branch or sandbox.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add a filter in monitoring job to exclude changes done by Gearset

To help identify changes done manually to the org it would be nice to have a filter which excludes all the changes done by Gearset deployment.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Monitoring and reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Improve error message when XML is not properly escaped

When I choose to compare metadata with my source as my VCS, there was an "&" char in the recordtype XML definition file.

<values>
            <fullName>Food & Beverage</fullName>
            <default>false</default>
        </values>

This threw an error and there was no support and no explanation at that time.

I suggest you to improve this error message.
    Message I got:

Could not parse the XML for 'force-app/main/default/objects/Lead/businessProcesses/Buyer.recordType-meta.xml'. Error occurred at line 71. Further details: An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 71, position 29.

File, line and position it's ok. maybe a link to Gearset docs with walkthrough with this probable cause when a parsing…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add the ability to order/chain overnight jobs

Gearset offers various automated jobs that run overnight e.g. Org Monitoring Snapshots, CI Jobs, Unit Test Runs.

it would be great to be able to set an ordering on how those run for any particular org. For example, a natural order for the night jobs may be:

1. Monitoring Snapshot
    2. CI run
    3. Unit testing

This means we have a backup before making any potential CI changes and the unit tests show the results after CI. It would also allow us to make sure that the jobs don't clash.

Ideally, we'd be able to do this without just specifying exact times to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Deployment automation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Delete comparisons

Be able to delete a comparison run with wrong filters or just keep the latest comparison

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  New feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Retain Deployment Friendly Name and Notes After Failed Deployment

When attempting to validate a deployment, and the validation fails, Gearset retains the deployment's friendly name and notes fields from the validation. The user can make any necessary changes to the deployment, and won't have to re-type this information when attempting it a second or third time.

I'd like to see this same functionality when dealing with a failed deployment that doesn't use validation. Validating a package takes two steps (long steps), and typically I only want to use this option when delaying a deployment. However I often use it anyway just so I can retain my data in these…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Mass deletion of data from backup

We want to know how to automate the deletion in backup system.

Common use case is deletion of customer data due to legal compliance.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data backup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Reuse earlier retrieved metadata, if nothing has changed

We have a large org and need to select many filters. A comparison take ages. Source of our deployments is mostly Git, which is very fast in retrieving metadata. I would like to have an option, to assume that nothing has changed in target and skip loading metadata of that org and use the metadata of an earlier comparison.
    If we have a small bug in our Git (e.g, test class not correct), we get an error while deployment. That's okay. We fix it in about 1min and want to deploy again. Loading metadata from Git is instant finished loading…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add the concept of Master seeding object

One great feature to have, would be the possibility to identify a Master object from which the filters applied on it would be applied on all dependent objects automatically.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Delta only validation CI jobs

Idea is to have the Delta CI for Validation only Job, so the as well, so the validation process will become faster .

The option of validating a PR in the deployment job does the same task, but is comparing too many items of metadata and it is taking too long.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  New feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow 'OR' combination for multiple External ID's in Upsert operation

Gearset allows the selection of multiple External ID's in an Upsert operation as part of a Data Deployment.

However, the system implements an 'AND' combination across all the external ID's specified on the object.
    Effectively, ALL external ID's need to be present on the target side for the match to be identified and record upserted. If all external ID's are not present, the system performs an Insert on the target org.

Please allow an 'OR' combination across multiple External ID's. Arguably, this should be the default option, but at the very least, a user needs the ability to decide how…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Deactivate email deliverability on Data Deployment

User email are masked in Sandboxes and we can mask Contact emails as part of the data deployment. This still leaves the Org Wide addresses as valid emails. If there is automation that is generating emails related to the data that is loaded, they will be delivered to the Org Wide Addresses.

It would be useful if the same script that is deactivating validation rules could set email deliverability to systems emails at the same time.

In the even that email deliverability was set to all emails in the Sandbox and not adjusted before the data deployment we would have…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base