Help us improve Gearset

Welcome to the Gearset feedback forum. We love getting feedback from our users on how we can make Gearset even better.

Post your ideas and vote for others – let us know what’s important to you. We’re keen to hear about product improvements, new features, and bug fixes alike. We check this forum regularly and will keep ideas updated with their current status. If you need any further support, please contact us at team@gearset.com.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Preserve Auto-number field values

Staging environments typically exist with integrations with other systems that have references to auto-number fields
    Data deployment re-evaluates auto-number fields instead of keeping the values of the source.

If data deployment jobs could automate the following it would probably work
    1. changing the type of the auto-number field to text in the target org
    2. potentially removing apex references to the field
    3. deploying the data
    4. rolling back metadata modifications in steps 1 and 2

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Data  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Email notification selection: none, success, failed deployemnts

In account settings allow me to choose what kind of notifications I want to receive to my email.
    [ ] Send me success deployments notifications
    [ ] Send me failed deployments notification

No selection means do not send any notifications.

Why? With many deployments my email is bombarded with notifications. Last two weeks 65 emails which I do not read as I see status on screen. Therefore I want to turn off those notifications.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Monitoring and reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to update value of Reference field for a data deployment

"Select reference fields to deploy"

Ability to edit the value for the target deployment data for the reference field instead of searching for the match on the Target.

Ex. Loading Opportunities from a Source to a Target that contains 5 different record types, but when uploaded to the Target we specify the recordtypeid to one that matches a recordtypeid on the Target for the entire data load.

Similar to how the Owner reference can ignore the Target's users and default to the running user of the data deployment.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to have Tests to Run during Validation to default to Unchecked all

Ability to have Tests to Run during Validation to default to Unchecked all vs all checked (even before they finish loading into the component). We often validate with only a few tests or predefined group of test classes that we input into 'Specify Tests to run' and if a user inputs those test classes in the text area before all the Tests populate above in the list, it will include all of the ones available. It defaults to checked all and they need to remember to uncheck them or to wait for them all to load which can take awhile…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Testing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. allow a method to set up default branches.

I frequently deploy from our on premises GitLab repo. It would be great to have the ability to set the default branch it goes to. It would be one less click for repetitive steps

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Deployment automation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. She the commit message with the Commit ID on the CI History Screen

The CI Job History Screen would be much more useful for me if it was able to show the commit message on the commit that triggered the CSI alongside the source commit ID.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Deployment automation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Eliminate unnecessary XML reformatting in git

Currently, when gearset deploys XML to git, it seems to run it through a reformatter, which creates superfluous changes in git. These changes cause extremely large deltas, which are hard to read, increase the difficulty of merges and the likelihood of conflicts, and make working with any other metadata tooling (like SFDX) difficult.

For example, here is part of a delta gearset commited for a profile.xml:
    diff --git a/force-app/main/default/profiles/Commissions.profile-meta.xml b/force-app/main/default/profiles/Commissions.profile-meta.xml
    index 8b11e6b7..3d640a50 100644
    --- a/force-app/main/default/profiles/Commissions.profile-meta.xml
    +++ b/force-app/main/default/profiles/Commissions.profile-meta.xml
    @@ -1,10 +1,27 @@
    -<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    -<Profile xmlns="http://soap.sforce.com/2006/04/metadata">
    +<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><Profile xmlns="http://soap.sforce.com/2006/04/metadata">
    + <custom>true</custom>
    + <profileActionOverrides>
    + <actionName>Tab</actionName>

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Create an rss or atom feed as you add new features

When working inside of Gearset, it often alerts you to changes that have been recently made. It would be nice to have these as a separate, consumable, feed. We have a slack channel that we would like to pipe those changes to, for instance.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  New feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add possibility to save custom filter RegEx for subcomponents

If you want to deploy new fields and field level security, I want to create a custom filter that hides all profile setting except of field level security and make that custom filter reusable.
    Unfortunately RegEx only works on top level elements. In this case profile names. That doesn't make sense since that would hide field level security too.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Selectively filter managed package metadata without excluding unpackaged components

Add the ability to filter in/out managed package elements from a comparison set at metadata type level. e.g. allow for the comparison of managed package objects and fields but exclude other managed package metadata types whilst allowing those types to be available for non-packaged constituents. More specifically for instance, exclude manage package page layouts and include managed package custom fields whilst including both unpackaged page layouts and custom fields in the comparison set.

The reason for this is to minimise the comparison set which can reach limits due to size whilst including all mandatory metadata elements for a deploy.

Using…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. If we move Jira ticket to status "Deploy" -> get the code from the repo ->deploy to destination ORG

For example after Jira status "Deploy" is captured doing a comparison and deploying the changes will work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow searching for Org IDs in deployment history

Enable the search results in Deployment History to include Org Ids.

USE CASE: I want to see a history of all deployments into, or out of, a specific org, regardless of the usernames used to deploy.

BONUS POINTS: allow me to specify whether it's the ID of the target org or the source org when searching. ex -
    targetorgid:00D1U000000sfXD
    sourceorgid:00D1U000000sfXD

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Monitoring and reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Include a feature to connect between SonarQube and Gearset

I really love using Gearset. It would be great if we have a plugin in there to integrate Gearset and SonarQube to display Static Code Analysis and Test Coverage in Sonar. I had tried this through CircleCI and it requires lot of configuration and we need write code to create and maintain the connection.
    Whenever there is an update to the GIT Master it has to Initialize the Sonar Scanner and it'll run some tests and display results in SonarQube.
    Thanks!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Import list of metadata items into org comparison.

When running a comparison, a user should be able to import a list of metadata items based on an agreed format (likely API names). This list would allow the user to save effort from copy pasting api names if they track their changes in an external system. For example, we track changes in our release system within our Salesforce production org. Our manifest items are tracked such as "custom_object__c.custom_field__c" and have statuses such as new/updated/deleted so we have a historical references of our changes. Being able to import these changes while still having the ability to select permissions/profiles/related changes would…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Comparisons and difference visualization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Compare metadata by "Changed Date" for both "Source" and "Target"

In "Compare and Deploy", is there a way to add a column for "Changed Date" for the Source item, in addition to the Target item?

I want to select all the items which were more recently changed in the Source than in the Target. In my current large org compare-and-deploy, I see many items which are different but the one in the Target was more recently changed, so I don't want to overwrite that item in the Target.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. update the wording in the change notifications - objects created sounds like Salesforce objects, not individual items

We run change monitoring and were very surprised to have 218 Objects created in Production over the weekend when no one was working. It would be good to rename this to 'items' instead to make it more clear.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Enhance XML meta data comparison to ignore changes in XML order

In org monitoring we frequently get notification about changes an the only thing is a change to the order of the XML elements returned.
    The XML is virtually the same but the order of elements returned changed from one day to the other.

It makes differentiating "real" changes from those false positives time-consuming.

It would be great if those kind of changes could be ignored or if there was an option to configure the XML comparison behavior for each monitoring job.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Use the information in a JIRA ticket to select the components to deploy

Instead of manually selecting components to deploy. If we have an integration with JIRA and the components are listed on the JIRA ticket. Would it be possible to then specify JIRA tickets to deploy and have Gearset automatically build the deployment package?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow complex filters and child relationships on filters for data loading

Allow complex filters and child relationships on filters for data loading. For example, filter the Account to only load if the Owner is an Active user in the system.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. This is related to webhooks feature in Gearset.

Currently webhooks allow to trigger external job like jenkins job using webhooks. However its doesn't give any information related to this job whether its been called or not or pass or fail.

Use case:
    The Jenkins job which I am triggering through Gearset calls my regression tests which runs on Jenkins server. I want to see the information like the Jenkins job has been called successfully and test results like number of tests run, pass , failed etc.
    Having this I can make sure the Webhook is working fine and know my test results in Gearset itself.
    It would be…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base