Help us improve Gearset

Welcome to the Gearset feedback forum. We love getting feedback from our users on how we can make Gearset even better.

Post your ideas and vote for others – let us know what’s important to you. We’re keen to hear about product improvements, new features, and bug fixes alike. We check this forum regularly and will keep ideas updated with their current status. If you need any further support, please contact us at team@gearset.com.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. When the difference between Source and Target, on a particular line, is only in the formatting. Highlight in a different color

From what I can determine you are categorizing the differences as follows:
    Code in Source, not in Target – Highlighted in Green
    Code in Target not in Source – Highlighted in Red
    Difference between code in Source and Target – Highlighted in Yellow

When the difference between Source and Target, on a particular line, is only in the formatting. It would be nice if that was highlighted in a different color than yellow (perhaps grey). It would speed up the review of the code knowing a certain color was only a formatting difference.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2. Naming Org Pairs

I'd like to be able to name 'Pairs' of orgs so I don't have to re-select them, like 'DEV to UAT' or 'HOTFIX to Production'

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Team and account management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Provide individual class code coverage statistics

Running tests displays overall org code coverage... it would be cool if you could provide individual class code coverage statistics as well, so we could get a good idea of what classes / triggers need attention

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Testing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Deploying Profiles - Create, Update, Delete

I have noticed that in some scenarios, user profiles cannot be created, deleted or updated. In addition, some pieces such as user license cannot be updated due to the Salesforce architecture. To create a new profile with a specific license, we would have to clone an existing profile that has the correct license and then update the permissions accordingly. When deleting a profile, first we need to ensure that the profile is not associated with a user (it doesn't matter whether the user is active or inactive) and then the profile can be deleted. When updating a profile, based on…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Deployment automation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Provide the option to ignore whitespace differences in Apex

It would be great to have more control over the diff process - particularly to be able to ignore whitespace changes.

If I've made an actual function change to a class, and also auto-indented it, then it would be a lot easier to see the important change if I could hide the whitespace-only changes.

Having the ability to suppress whitespace-only changes on the list of changed objects would be really useful, too.

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Support deleting comparison data

Having the comparison history is a great feature, but it would be very beneficial to be able to delete any data in the system, especially when working with a trial account. Part of testing could include working with test environments that you don't want to persist after going live. Also, peace of mind when ending the trial that your data has been removed.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add a `Weekly` cadence to the test runner

I need to run my own tests (ie no namespace) daily as those should never fail and if they do I need to know

For namespace tests, I just need to run them weekly, primarily to reset the "invalid" flag on apex classes that can be tripped by trivial changes. I know some will fail as we have some huge apps installed and my understanding is that it's normal for dome of those managed tests to fail.

So I would only want to run them weekly to reduce the noise from the daily failure email. Just run those on Saturday.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Testing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. I need TeamCity to kick off a deployment within GearSet when all my auditing constraints are met.

We currently have a deployment pipeline for our .net and Rails environments that utilize VersionOne, GitHub, TeamCity and Ansible to deploy changes into AWS.
    Due to auditing constraints we would like to use VesrionOne, GitHub and TeamCity to deploy our SF changes.
    Does Gearset interact with these tools or must it stand on it's own?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow me to exclude metadata.

I have certain metadata which is broken or dangerous to migrate from a dev org, I'd like to exclude it from this and subsequent releases. If I could 'right click' and ignore it that would be good.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow source metadata to be customised prior to deployment

In order to support a development pipeline (e.g. Dev Environment -> Staging Environment -> Production) allow Metadata from the source Org to be modified before deployment to the target Org.

e.g. I have a RemoteSiteSetting in source that points at https://dev.example.com and in my staging environment I need this to point to https://stg.example.com

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

As part of our ongoing roamdap prioritisation, we’ve decided to postpone work on this feature. This isn’t to say we’re not going to do it at all, it’s just that it’s not on our currently active backlog. If you think we should rejig our priorities please let us know – we’re always adjusting based on customer feedback.

11. Provide a way to init a sandbox

It would be nice if there was a quick way of init'ing a new sandbox that matches either what was in source control or an existing sandbox.

Currently, I need to run a comparison between the existing source and the new sandbox and then I can try the deploy, but it would be nice if the compare step was not needed and I could simply say 'overwrite what is in the sandbox with what is in the specified source'

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Deployment automation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Cancel deployment in progress

In Salesforce, you can cancel a deployment in progress: Maybe because a test has failed already and you don't want to bother running the rest, or because you forgot some things.

Can we have a cancel button while a deployment is in progress in Gearset? The metadata api seems to support it:

https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.apimeta.meta/apimeta/meta_canceldeploy.htm

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Deployment automation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Chatter posting to

I think it would be useful if Gearset had the capability to make a chatter post to a specific group or @mention someone.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Ability to pause subscriptions for inactive users

Manage users on "My Team", so we can activate/deactivate users and then save on licences that are not used until reassigned.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Team and account management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Include both dates on comparison export

The sheet exported from a comparison currently includes only one date column. It is unclear which org this refers to. It would be great if it included two columns (one per org) so that one didn't have to individually look up the item to determine which version is newer.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. User Account Specific Validation Errors

When deploying objects such as reports to a Target ORG, sometimes the reports are shared with a user in the source ORG. If the user does not exist in the Target ORG, the validation throws an error. Would it be feasible to add objects, such as reports, to the Warnings / Fixes screen so we can easily select how to handle user specific dependencies? Maybe we can chose to enter a new username or simply remove the shared with permission on the object?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Monitoring and reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Unselect all standard profiles & related permission

Often you want to deploy Admin profile and (x) custom profiles. Compare and deploy picks up hundreds of entries for standard profiles which are surplus to requirements. A single click way would be veryuseful.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Differentiate XML and Code differences in the comparison

I would find it very useful if the comparison result highlighted if the difference was in the XML or the Code (or both) for each item. This would especially save time when there are a lot of differences.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Specify tests to run on the test monitoring jobs

Some of my orgs have many tests, and I don't always want to run all of them on a daily basis. Being able to specify which tests are run daily would be great.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Testing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow multi-selection of items with CTRL or SHIFT

It would be great to be able to select multiple items in a comparison using crtl or shift click, rather than checking the boxes one by one

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base